Sunday, August 10, 2008

A gondola ride and an Italian Mass…a First Class Day

Today Monty and I headed for Piazza San Marco in the morning. It was of course bustling with people, as I’m sure it is 24 hours a day. While we walked around we inquired as to the times of the Saturday afternoon mass in Basilica di San Marco and decided to come back later for the mass and to see inside.

Then we walked around, had some lunch and found a gondola for hire! Woo hoo! The ride was all I had imagined. The parts of the ride in the Grand Canal were hot because there was very little shade, but there was so much going on that we hardly noticed. It was a great way to see Venice and relax. Our gondolier did not talk much, but did tell us about a couple of the buildings along the Grand Canal, including the courthouse. If you ever go to Venice, you need to take a gondola ride. You can negotiate the price, which we did and I loved it. I think Monty enjoyed himself although I think he’s been secretly fearing it since I mentioned it months ago.

After a wonderful last day in Venezia, Monty and I headed back to our hotel to get ready for our Italian mass. We were a little late getting to the Basilica, but enjoyed what we did see. William, we’ll need you to translate the program for us because it’s all in Italian. All Monty and I understood were some Alleugiah’s, Amen’s and the Apostle’s Creed, but it was fantastic. The Basilica was absolutely beautiful and much more than I thought it would be. It was incredibly ornate. Also, the floor was like waves on the ocean. I’m assuming that is due to the settling of the building.

I absolutely loved Venezia! It was a little smelly, but that was mostly the French and Italians that fail to bathe on a regular basis. In fact, the canals were much less smelly than I was prepared for. I absolutely loved Venezia and would love to go back some day. There is plenty to do and so much Monty and I did not get to see. BTW…the water buses are fantastic. Monty kept laughing at me because I couldn’t ride them enough…what a great idea!

No comments: