Wednesday, August 6, 2008

My comparative tort class

...has been very interesting. I absolutely love torts! It was my favorite subject during my 1L year, so of course when a tort class was offered on this program I signed up for it.

Apparently we lucked out too because our professor is one, if not the, foremost authority on comparative tort in Europe. He has so much knowledge of torts and how the different European jurisdictions as well as the EU deal with tort cases that he sometimes winds up on tangets that have nothing to do with the material. He also gets very worked up when it comes to issues and/or cases he thinks are ridiculous. I love it!

Well, today we talked compensation for tort cases in various countries and learned that a Greek court allowed a fetus to recover under a bereavement theory for the loss of his/her grandmother. Apparently, the grandmother was killed in an accident with the mother-to-be in the car and the Greek court allowed the mother and the unborn fetus to recover bereavement losses for the injury. Are you kidding me? That is quite possibly the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard in my life! Fortunately, even with all of the squirly verdicts and payouts in the U.S. we don't have anything as ridiculous as a bereavement theory of recovery. What will they think of next?

No comments: