Friday, August 8, 2008

Wine is cheaper than water…

After my final yesterday afternoon Monty and I hopped on a train to Venice! Woo hoo! Although I do love beer and have loved all of it that I’ve had over the last 5 weeks, I’m thrilled to be in Italy with all this wine!

We had an uneventful train ride here, with the second train even having air conditioning which is almost unheard of on the Italian trains! We were smart enough, however, not to tempt the bathrooms.

Last night was rough to say the least. Because I booked our hotel about a month ago not knowing we could arrive on Thursday instead of Friday, I had to call at the last minute to get a room for last night. The best thing I can say is that we weren’t sleeping on the street, although it might have been cooler.

When we arrived, the guy at the front desk told us we were in the annex. Meaning, we went outside and walked to a completely different building. After walking up 4 flights of narrow stairs we arrived at our room. At first blush it appeared there were 2 twin beds, but upon closer examination it was really 2 twin cots with some sort of IKEA-esk type erector set around them. Seriously, we paid 58 euro last night to sleep on a cot made to look like a twin bed.

The best part of the room was the temperature. I don’t think it got below about 85 degrees all night long. The problem is, the buildings in Venice are so close together that if you’re not on a wide street, you get no breeze. Basically, we poured sweat all night long.

Did I mention we also were able to share a hallway bathroom with the other lucky ones relegated to the annex? Yep, I’m not sure this bathroom had been cleaned in months. I touched nothing, took a shower in my flops and only brushed my teeth because my breath was so bad, I could smell it. Basically, I would rather have bathed in the Grand Canal than our bathroom!

Our ‘wake up’ call was eye opening! Most people wake to the sun, their alarm or maybe even a rooster, but we were awakened by the banging of pans and hocking of loogies by the old lady across the window from us. It was a joy and one I’m very sorry you too will not experience.
We have now been moved into a room with A/C that is smaller, but at least clean. Things are looking up! One final mental image for y’all. The trash can in our room last night did have a bag, but had trash in it! Awesome!

No comments: