Monday, July 28, 2008

And the wall came tumbling down...

Can you stand how big the train station in Berlin is? It had a 4 story mall inside! I mean, I've been train stations in several large cities; New York, London and Paris; but they have nothing on Berlins!





My flight from Tel Aviv to Berlin arrived in Berlin at 6AM. Just in time for me to get through security and watch the city come alive on a Tuesday morning. I made my way back to the train station and then set off to see everything I could take in before my 11AM train to Munich and then to Innsbruck.

Surprisingly, I saw a lot! From Checkpoint Charlie to the Brandenburge Gate. I had no plan, just wandering.

Checkpoint Charlie was interesting. They are currently working on a memorial so much of the area was under construction. But, they have plaques in the road showing where the wall stood and the signs still remain, along with the actual checkpoint.


I even had my passport stamped, or course for a fee!

This is the sign passing from the communist side to the American side.


These soldiers stand here daily with their flags. I wanted a picture with them, but you have to pay and I thought that was a little much. Put on your surprise faces!




Near Checkpoint Charlie they have pieces of the wall hanging on buildings. The city had to think quickly after the fall of the wall because people immediately began to hack away at the wall and take pieces with them. Now, there is only one place in Berlin with seveal feet of the wall still intact. Unfortunately, because I was only there for a few hours I didn't have time to go see it.






Brandenburge Gate was massive and there were a ton of people already there that morning taking pictures. I just wish I had more time in Berlin, but maybe one day I'll return.
Here is one of the museums and a bear. Many of the cities have painted cows or bears or other animals throughout the city. So I wonder if Sandy Springs copied Berlin with the turtles? Also, have you seen the 'big chickens' in Marietta? Love it!
I love this picture I snapped on the train back to Innsbruck. That's a castle in the background!

No comments: