Tuesday, July 29, 2008

There are definitely differences in Austrian life and American life!

The longer I'm here, it becomes more and more apparent to me that besides the lack of ice and vegetables, there are many more differences between the everyday lives of Austrians and Americans.

The pace of life is much slower than in the U.S., but these folks drive like maniacs. Seriously, I don't understand why they are in such a hurry, but if you don't step on the gas the second the light turns green, they lay on the horn. And, they drive ridiculously fast EVERYWHERE. If they led the fast paced lifestyle that Americans live I'd understand their hurry, but I can't figure it out because of the slower pace!

The traffic lights here are awesome. They not only go from green to yellow to red, but from red to yellow to green. Which I think is awesome because everyone that's in a hurry knows when to step on the gas! I think the U.S. should get these kind of lights!

I could get used to going to the grocery store daily for a few items if I could buy vegetables, but so far I've only even seen one place in Innsbruck that sells veggies and they have a very limited selection. I guess if your vegetarian you either eat a lot of pizza or cheese sandwiches and I'd get sick of that in a second.

I must say, I do love all of the walking. It was an adjustment at first, but now that I'm used to it, I'm used to banking that time into my day. Plus, you see so much more of the city walking than you do in a car or on a bus. All the more time for me to take in these beautiful views!

No comments: